Arkema, alongside major French companies, confirms its commitment to the climate
To reduce its greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions, Arkema engages in concrete actions:
- the ARKENERGY® program, designed to reduce energy consumption in its 137 plants throughout the world, with a view to achieving a 15% drop in energy consumed by 2025 compared to 2012;
- its greenhouse gas emissions reduction policy, aiming for a 50% drop by 2025 compared to 2012;
- its OPTIM’O® program launched in 2016, designed to reduce COD by 20% and water-related costs by 15% by 2025 compared to 2012.
Arkema has also been focusing its R&D on producing a range of materials to help the development of alternatives to oil-based resources and the reduction of carbon emissions from buildings. Accordingly, the Group offers new solutions in the fields of:
- energy storage, with Kynar® fluoropolymer (PVDF) for Li-Ion batteries and photovoltaics;
- performance and insulation of buildings, thanks to Bostik® adhesives and sealants and to innovative coatings and paints like Kynar® Aquatec for cool roofing;
- biosourced products, such as Rilsan® polyamides, a range of technical polymers used in a large number of value chains (sport, automotive, industry, oil & gas, etc.);
- lightweighting of components in transportation, such as Rilsan HT® to replace metal in vehicle engines, and ultra high performance PEKK® in aerospace.
Finally, Arkema is also engaged in a circular economy approach, with Elium®, a fully recyclable thermoplastic resin used in composites as a substitute to non-recyclable thermoset resins currently in use in various mass markets (wind turbine blades, automotive industry, construction, sailing).